The Schiavo Case
CNN.com - Emergency vote�puts Schiavo case in federal court - Mar 21, 2005
The Terry Schiavo case has been a tragic story from its onset. It is always heartbreaking when someone so young, 25, suffers such an injury. I can't even imagine how devastating it has been for her family and friends.
Each side has such convincing arguments as to why she should live and why she should die. I have been reluctant to come to any conclusions about who should decide the fate of Terri Schiavo. However, I do know it is truly outrageous for the Republicans in Congress, who so actively campaign for states' rights when it comes to gay marriage, to use this woman to gain more support from their religious right constituents. This case has been decided many times already by the courts.
I am also ashamed of Democrats for succumbing to their fear of becoming the party that always says "no." It is okay to say no, especially on an issue such as this one. If the Democrats don't grow a little backbone, I'm afraid that Republicans will turn back the hands of time and we will become an intolerant, Puritanical society once more.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home